Top 10 Tips for Removing Carpet Stains
Carpet stains can aggravate and annoy homeowners and damage and destroy carpets. This list identifies some basic stain-fighting tips, including basic home remedies, repeating the process if the first time isn’t the charm, and knowing when to hire the pros.
- Act fast. The “five second rule” with food can loosely be applied to carpets: the longer you wait, the worse the stain may be — even with clear liquids like water.
- Fight small with small. If you have a tendency to break out the big guns with any carpet stain, you actually may want to choose a different weapon. For small stains from things like dirt and food, try simple solutions like club soda or vinegar water.
- Use your home arsenal. Ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, WD40, even baking soda are some home remedies that can often work wonders.
- Don’t forget your tools. Using an old rag can make a stain worse. Using a fabric-friendly carpet cleaning brush can loosen fibers without flattening them.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. Carpet cleaning companies, contractors, and other home improvement professionals may offer helpful tips for basic stains — all you have to do is ask.
- Wool stains: call the pros. Wool fibers are typically more delicate and often require special treatment. Small stains can be tackled by homeowners, but serious stains should be left for a professional carpet cleaning service.
- Pet stains: forget the enzymes. Many carpet cleaners, especially “green” cleaners, are enzyme-based, which don’t liquify the uric salts found in pet feces. Use a pet carpet cleaner to fight the mess your loved one leaves behind.
- Vacuum. A final once-over can finish the job and remove any excess dirt or chemicals. Be sure to wait until your work is completely dry.
- Repeat. Sometimes we forget this important step. A stain can take 2-3 removal attempts to completely disappear.
- Keep watching. You may have won the battle, but the war isn’t over until you confirm the stain doesn’t return. If it does, it’s time to call the pros.
These ten stain fighting tips can help keep your carpet looking great. But remember, if the going gets too tough, don’t be afraid to call in a professional cleaning service.